Thursday, December 15, 2005

Brescia - Piazza della Loggia

Although Brescia is not the most beautiful city in Italy (no, it doesn't make the second place either), it does have a few interesting views.

I shot these pictures two years ago at Christmas time. They show a few views of Piazza della Loggia.

The building on the left is the "Loggia" itself, that gives the name to the square. I should know by now what this building actually is, the truth is I'm a bit confused about it... ;-) It is, or at least it used to be, a place where important administrative decision are taken. I know for sure it's been used at least once for the MilleMiglia winners prize-giving.

The fuzzy thing pictured below on the left is a clock and is just opposite the Loggia. No, I don't know how to read it... :-) The two statues on the top are supposed to bang the bell every hour, I'm not sure they actually work though...

The nice tiny wooden houses shown down-right form the so-called "Mercatino di S. Lucia" (Saint. Lucy's Market), and it's just beside the Loggia. It opens in Christmas time and it's a great place to find nice unuseful overexpensive Christmas gifts if you're desperate and willing to empty your wallet. :-)

The last picture is taken from right under the clock and it shows the south exit from the square. On the left are "i Portici", one of the main shopping points in Brescia, where you can find fashion stores, jewelries and so on.


3 comments:

Matgala said...

I like the clock. It's a 24 hours clock, am I right? But I can't see the hour when you took the photo, it's very difficult! :-)

MacMan said...

It's not very difficult if you use a trick: the picture is downloaded directly from the camera, so there are the "EXIF" informations in the file. From there you can see the photo was taken at 11:11 AM. And in fact if you watch closely the picture you can see there is a hand with a little sun on it pointing on the "XI".

The other hands in the center of the clock should have a meaning too, but I don't know how to read them.

Oh, by the way, from the EXIF you can also see that the picture was taken *two* years ago! I thought it was just last year! Time flies when you're having fun! ;-)

Matgala said...

Oh! I only looked at the center of the clock. And there I couldn't see anything I could understand. But now that you say it, I can see the hand :-)